Building Your Own Food Safety Program
Recent changes to the food safety laws within Canada and United States that are aimed at tightening the food safety system, from field to fork, have brought more stringent requirements and enforcement. Below are several items to consider when building your own food safety program.
- You or the Company owner will be held personally liable if any issues occur caused by your company – FDA has authority to prosecute criminally(fines, prison time).
- FDA will require third party certification, audits and inspection for all transport programs.
- Record keeping and traceability must meet FDA guidelines.
- We estimate that it will take a minimum of 1000 management/governance man-hours to develop, implement, train and monitor your own HACCP or PCP Program. Depending on your company’s size, the set up costs could range from $25,000 to $100,000.
- Your internally developed program will likely be based on paper forms, manual effort and data. This will present challenges for multiple locations, reporting, record keeping and sharing of information. This will also make the audit process time-consuming and inefficient.
- FDA requires that you must implement a food safety system that includes an analysis of hazard and risk based preventive controls.
- FDA requires each transporter to have a minimum of 4 hours of training by a certified third party.
- You must have a written food safety plan that includes: hazard analysis, oversight and management of preventive controls, monitoring, corrective actions and verification.
Adopting Your Shipper’s Food Safety Program
In most cases, shipper’s programs may not effectively meet the new Sanitary Transportation of Food and Preventive Controls requirement of the new food safety regulations coming into effect. Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering to adopt your shipper’s food safety program for your company.
- Each shipper you currently deal with, may have a different program. This would require you to have a different program (e.g., documents, verification records, corrective actions, reporting, etc.) for each one your company works with, doubling the time and effort needed to manage your food safety program.
- Shippers may require additional fees to extend the coverage of their program to your business, extending their risk control measurements onto your business and resources.
- If you are locked into one shipper’s program only, you may miss out on business opportunities to companies who have invested in their own food safety program. One that is compatible and government approved for both US and CA, allowing them to operate more cost-effectively and put less work on their shippers as they are managing their own certified program.
- You will be integrating your company to your shipper’s business processes and are now at the mercy of their business model and food safety program requirements.
- If your shipping company becomes ‘non-compliant’ with rules and regulations, you are taking the risk of accepting the responsibility of any prosecution, fines, and seizures.
- As per the new food safety requirements, your company may still require yearly audits, documentation, and food safety training for your team on a regular basis.
Advantages of the Iron Apple Food Safety Solution for Carriers Program
Building your own food safety program or adopting the shipper’s food safety program can be a risky business. We have developed a food safety program that meets requirements by both US and CA new and future food safety regulations, that has been tailored and developed specifically for the trucking / logistics industry, ready to be installed today! Here are several benefits of the Trucking Food Safety Program:
- The Iron Apple Food Safety Solution for Carriers Program meets all of the new food safety regulations from the CFIA and FDA, valid in Canada and the United States.
- When you receive an Iron Apple PCP certificate of compliance, you will also be compliant with the following food safety plans:
- Preventive Controls Plan (PCP) Compliance; valid for 1 year.
- HACCP Requirements and Compliance; valid for 1 year.
- FSEP Requirements and Compliance; valid for 1 year.
- HARPC Compliance; valid for 1 year.
- Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food Regulation; valid for 1 year.
- Iron Apple provides a full range of food safety training, ongoing customer care and support, one-on-one consultation with food safety experts, digital solution and data management.
- Compliance audits will be completed by Iron Apple’s exclusive third party audit partner, SAI Global, throughout North America. Iron Apple will share industries best practices from all transporters to continuously improve upon existing systems and procedures.
- As a digital system we offer many benefits over paper version food safety systems
- Always-up-to-date Regulatory References – direct links to regulation requirements.
- Digital document management with redundant off-site backups.
- Ease of access from anywhere through supported internet browsers (no software required to install program).
- Light-weight framework designed for speed and mobile connections.
Iron Apple International has ensured that the content of our program meets all government requirements for both United States and Canada. We’ve built a digital platform to offer the best possible delivery of our program.
For over 3 years, we’ve worked with leaders in the trucking industry to tailor a solution specifically for trucking companies. We’ve simplified all aspects of the food safety regulations, becoming compliant and staying compliant.
With our program, there are only 4 steps to a successful compliance audit:
- Review and understand the Prerequisite Components for Certification.
- Implement Prerequisites Requirements and Required Record Keeping.
- Implement Preventive Controls and Collect Accurate Data for a 90 Day Period.
- Completion of a Successful Compliance Audit.